Friday, December 9, 2011

Christmas Decor, Part 1

If you've been around me long, you know that I am not a crafty person. I have zero talent. Some people can pick up a stick and make it into a masterpiece. I can't.

If you've been to my house, you know that my house is not decorated much. First of all, see above. Second, we moved and downsized so often that we've gotten rid of most of our unnecessary items. Third, now that we have more space, I just don't have the extra money right now to purchase any supplies. So, it's a little sparse looking around here. Oh, add in the baby-fog I've been in the past four years.

But I do love to decorate for Christmas. And the kids love it. Especially when family come to spend Christmas with us. This year my mom is coming, and possibly my brother and sister-in-law. So, I've been a little more motivated this year.

Last year, Sis Tarpley (very kindly) yelled at me for having an empty mantle. So, I went to the dollar store and purchased a few things and was able to put together a nice looking mantle.

Today I started decorating for Christmas. I started off by doing some non-Christmas stuff like changing around some pictures that I have, cleaning off the mantle (no, it's not decorated, it just accumulates lots of junk), picking up the toys. Then I pulled out our box of Christmas decorations and got to work. Yup, one box. And there wasn't much in it, let me tell you.

After I placed everything on the mantle, it looked a little bare. I cast about for something to add and I finally found it!!
I added two sets of Christmas salt and pepper shakers, my Christmas gravy boat, and a white carafe. It looks great! The Christmas dishes were purchased back in the day and we enjoy pulling them out every year. The carafe was purchased long ago at Last Chance. We won't use them, except maybe on Christmas, so I love that I was able to incorporate them into my decor.

Some of you seasoned, talented people are probably looking at the picture and cringing, but like I said, I have zero talent. This is quite an accomplishment for me!

I have some other fun plans, too, that I hope to get to this weekend. I want Katelyn to help me with them. I'll take a picture and post about it later.

Get creative!! I'm trying!

No comments:

Post a Comment