Monday, January 9, 2012

Fasting with intention

Today is the first day of the Valley Pentecostal Church annual fast. Everyone that is physically able to is fasting a minimum of three days this week.

I am trying to be very intentional this week with my fasting, trying to remember to actually pray and meditate on the Lord rather than just feel miserable and complain about how hungry I am (of course, ask me about this on Wednesday).

One of the things that I did spontaneously this morning was that when I was preparing the littles' breakfast and the smell of the food wafted up to me and my stomach rumbled, I stopped and prayed and said "Lord, as I prepare this food for my family while I fast, I am asking that you bless our finances this year so that we can continue to provide food for our family all year long." Just a simple prayer, but it made me feel so much better to have a focus for my suffering at that moment.

Jason asked what I was doing and I tried to explain in simple terms. He nodded with a serious look on his face, then asked if we could sing "How Great Is Our God".

Absolutely, honey. We're gonna sing it loud and clear. How Great Is Our God!

No comments:

Post a Comment