Monday, January 16, 2012

A Foot Washing Picture

I wish I could have taken a picture of our foot washing service last night. It was so special.

The way that we do foot washing at our church is by family. Everyone in the family washes the feet of the head of the house, then the head washes the feet of the wife and all the children. Our family does it by age, down.

The picture I want to capture is Justin, pacifier in mouth, sitting on the edge of the white folding chair, dangling his bare feet. His tan pant legs are folded up. Jim is knelt down next to Justin and has lifted the pink basin of water up to Justin's feet to dip them into the water. I am standing next to the chair, to Justin's right. Katelyn, Tyler and Jason are standing on their barefoot, freshly washed feet, clustered between me and Jim. I have my hand on Justin's back, praying, as I hear my husband pray,

"Lord, this child is a promise. He's too young to understand what is going on, but your Word says that if we train up a child in the way he should go, that when he is old, he will not depart from it. We are praying for this young child that he will walk in your ways and will not depart from your presence."

Tears flowed. I wish I could have taken a picture of that moment, but it will have to be one that I store in my heart. The preciousness of the Holy Ghost, the beauty of raising our children in the purity of the Holy Ghost. We can't block them from this world, nor can we make choices for them as they get older. We can only train them up according to God's Word, then believe and trust that God will uphold his promise.

1 comment:

  1. So, so true. We serve a faithful God and He is more than able!

    ReplyDelete