Thursday, January 19, 2012

A Tree

Did you know that there are hundreds of different types of trees? And there are tons of different kinds of fruit-bearing trees. There are bunches of different kinds of fruits. (how's that for scientific?)

While doing my Bible reading recently, I reread Psalms 1.

I was struck anew by verse 3: And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season;

Wait, that said HIS fruit in HIS season (emphasis mine). It didn't say "will bring forth the same fruit that his brother brings forth"

Some of us are apple trees. But, did you know that there are there are more than 7,500 variations of apple trees in the world?

Some of us are orange trees, or lemon, or grapefruit.

Peach trees. Banana trees.

All the different kinds of trees bring forth, or produce, a different type of fruit. Each fruit looks different, tastes different, feels different, smells different from each other type.

Even pieces of the same exact type of fruit can look different from each other, or taste a little different.

We just bought some fuji apples and none of them look the same. Some are a little more green, some a little more red, some taste sweet, some are a little more tart.

And, each of these different types of fruit produce at different times of the year! Currently we are seeing a lot of citrus and the end of the apple season. Peaches come in August. And I have no idea when banana season is.

The Bible says that the Blessed man (that's who I want to be) is like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that brings for HIS fruit in HIS season (emphasis mine). It doesn't say that the blessed man is a fuji apple tree, or a peach tree.

I take that to mean that we are all different types of trees. That, depending on the type of tree that we are, we will produce a certain kind of fruit. At a certain time that is right for us.

I don't have to be exactly like Sis Wonderful, because I'm not that kind of tree. I don't have to be talented in the exact same ways as Sis. So Creative because that's not my fruit. And I don't have be involved in everything that Sis Finger in Everything in involved in right now because it's not my season.

But, I do need to ask the Lord to show me what kind of tree that I am, and what kind of fruit that he expects me to bear, and what my season is. Then I need to do it, and do it with all of my might.

I first encountered this lesson as a young mom. I remember lamenting to my mom about the fact that I was no longer able to be involved in all of the church things that I used to be involved in now that I had a baby or two.

Her words still ring clear today. She said "For right now, your ministry is to your family. There will come a time later when you will feel that you can be involved in other things again."

My season was motherhood. My fruit at that moment was to be the best mom to my young children that I could be.

As they have become older, I've been able to get involved in a few more things at church. My season has changed just a little. At it will continue to change as my children continue to grow and I seek out what new things the Lord has for me.

But, right now it's not time for me to be involved in so much that I am constantly away from my family. I need to remember what kind of tree that I am and not strive to be the same tree as my sister.

Be the tree that God made you. Bear the fruit that God has given you the seeds to bear. Acknowledge the season that you are in and let the Lord turn the pages of the calendar.

6 comments:

  1. Mmmm, thanks for sharing! This is great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Sister Caldwell. Sometimes I need a reminder of what fruit God is looking for in me? And what season will He come looking for fruit? I can look and see the different seasons past, but now you have me thinking about the seasons in the future. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found your blog and I'm happy for it!!! Looking forward to read your future thoughts. Thanks for sharing! God bless! ~Laura http://launoe.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you! I love your style; you remind me of my sister-in-law in your style AND she speaks Spanish, too. Welcome :)

      Delete