Wednesday, March 28, 2012

How I Cook

It all started with the mashed potatoes.

Thursday night I made Oven-fried Drumsticks, Cheesy Mashed Potatoes and carrots with Ranch. I made a large batch of potatoes because I wanted to use the leftovers to make Easy Shepherd's Pie on Friday. Delicious.

Saturday was Jason's party. I knew that I would want the day free for cleaning, not cooking, plus I needed a meal for Sunday, so first thing in the morning I put a ham in the oven to bake for a couple of hours (it was only seven pounds). I also put the ingredients in my bread machine for Buttery Bread Machine Rolls. I've found that it's best to do these at the same time because the heat from the oven will help the dough rise when it's time to form the rolls. These were both ready by lunch time and we noshed on ham sandwiches as needed throughout Saturday and Sunday.

Monday I pulled the ham out of the fridge and cut all the meat off, dicing it into small cubes. I noticed that I still had some Cheesy Mashed Potatoes left (wow, I did make a large batch). Looking over my recipe for Heavenly Potatoes and Ham, I decided that the leftover potatoes would make a good substitution for the potatoes and additions in the recipe, so I mixed together the leftover potatoes, leftover ham, and most of a can of cream of mushroom soup. I topped it with cheese, then bread crumbs, then pats of butter. It was awesome! I served it with leftover Jello from Jason's party and carrots with Ranch.

I also had enough ham cubes left for another meal. That went into the freezer.

Monday night I pulled out my Crockpot and a pound of beans and soaked them overnight. Tuesday morning those beans were drained, put back into the Crockpot and combined with the ham bone, cumin, chili powder and chicken bullion. I made homemade flour tortillas and rice. I served it with, you guessed it, carrots and Ranch and leftover Jello.

Tonight I took the leftover beans and made Texas Style Skillet, substituting extra beans for the ground beef. We ate these with the leftover homemade tortillas and, surprise, corn and grapes.

I had enough left over to make a batch of enchiladas sometime, so the leftovers went into the freezer for another day.

Tomorrow I am making a turkey. I think I'm going to make stuffing, then use the leftovers to make Farmhouse Chicken, er turkey.

And that's how I cook. Trying to make sure that I use everything up, and trying to work ahead as much as possible. I do make out a menu, but use it as a guide, not a must. I adjust as needed when I see other options with the food that I have on hand.

Want to come over for dinner?

2 comments:

  1. you're making me hungry...I feel like I've been living in a cave because of Yearbook. It's good to be out and about again. I'd really dislike being a creature that must go into hibernation every once in awhile, I think.

    ReplyDelete