Friday, June 1, 2012

Day One of Summer

Today was the "first day of summer" for us as GCA ended yesterday.
On our list for today was making Homemade Playdough.  The kids love to play with playdough, plus I figured that we could save it and use it later.  I'm a genius that way :)

Here are Katelyn and Tyler mixing up the first two batches of playdough.  It was actually a bit difficult to stir as it thickened.  Tyler pooped out about halfway there, but Katelyn was a trooper and saw it to the end AND helped me make a second batch. 

Here I am adding salt to my batch.

Katelyn and Jason show off the final product.  We made four batches of the recipe, each a different color.  Each batch made about 1.5 to 2 store-bought containers worth.  It was sticky while hot, but as it cooled off, we kneaded it and it was the perfect consistency.  The kids do complain about the smell though.  I think the cream of tartar must have an odd odor.  I don't use it on a regular basis in my cooking, so I'm not familiar with it.


After the playdough, I had Katelyn make brownies.  Last week she made brownies for her prayer partner, Shelbie, as a graduation gift.  Katelyn had the great idea to use cookie cutters to cut the brownies into cool shapes.  It had so much more "WOW!" than plain square brownies.  Here she is with the brownie cut outs that she made today.


One day down.  How many to go??

No comments:

Post a Comment