Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Lessons From Potty Training

I heave a sigh as I strip wet pants and underwear off of him yet again.  While he's been doing great, he still has random accidents.  I feel frustration well inside and very intentionally calm my voice and words to let him know that it's okay, accidents happen.  After all, he's still training.  I can't expect perfection yet.

God's voice whispers through my heart "Have patience with him, just like I have patience with you."

I think of how many times I've determined that I will pray every single day.  I do good for awhile and then I miss a day or two (or more!).  I fall on my knees and repent and ask God to help me to do better.  I thank Him for His long suffering and grace, because it never fails.  It never runs out.  God is always faithful.

How many times do we fail?  How many times do we ask for repentance and promise that we will do better?  How many times do we make resolutions, only to break them, having to restart again, and again, and again...

And yet, God is ever patient.  He is ever long suffering.  He never gives up on us.  He continually trains us, through His Word, through the preaching, or in prayer.

He's still working on me
To make me what I ought to be
It took him just a week to make the moon and the stars
The sun, and the earth, and Jupiter and Mars
How loving and patient He must be
He's still working on me

song by Joel Hemphill


No comments:

Post a Comment