Tuesday, August 27, 2013

"No Slits?!?!"

Miss Valerie Nieves moved over to VPC about a month ago from another church, and she has a cute story on her blog about changing over her wardrobe and how God has blessed her with appropriate clothing.

It reminded me of a funny story from my move:

Most of you know that we lived in Modesto, CA, along with the Mantooths.  Adaina and I were good friends, and would hang out together with some other ladies who had children the same ages.  Our church was becoming more liberal, and we would share our frustrations with each other.  Adaina's parents, the Gibsons, had moved to Glendale several years before, and one day Adaina shared with us that she and Bryan were going to move to Glendale in about eight months.  She began to tell us about the church, which was Faith Temple at the time, and how things were different from our church.  One of our friends had a brother-in-law who pastored another more liberal UPC church in Phoenix, so she asked "Isn't Bro Garrett really strict?"  Adaina responded that he was and named one of the differences being that he didn't allow his ladies to wear slits in the their skirts.  I will never forget the shock and appall that filled all of the ladies that were listening at the thought of not being able to wear a slit.  How on earth was that even possible?  I mean, really.  (To put this in perspective a little, I was raised that your skirt must be below the knee, and any slit must not be above the bend in the knee.  It was very modest by most standards.  Short skirts and higher slits came in later.)

Time passed, the Mantooths moved to Glendale, and God became working in our own lives to lead us to Glendale.

It was the Sunday of Labor day when my husband came home from Sunday morning service and announced that God had spoken to him and told him to take his family and move to Glendale.  I knew in my heart that this was what we needed to do, but I also knew that I would need to give up some things.  I asked my husband for some time and walked away to go pray.  I will never forget praying and asking God "If this move is your will, please, make the "no slits" rule no big deal."

I got up from prayer and went to my closet and starting looking over my clothes.  And I was amazed at how many skirts I already had that didn't have slits!  Hey, maybe this wasn't going to be so hard after all.  And from that moment on, I embraced it whole-heartedly.

I am so thankful to the Lord for bringing us to Glendale, and for bringing Miss Valerie, too.  :)

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad he brought you to Glendale too! No splits and all ;) you know... It's amazing how many people just can't FATHOM no splits!!! I'm glad it wasn't an ordeal for you~ cause I would've never had the pleasure of knowing you!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHA!!! Good story!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete