Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Walking With a Limp

The other night my husband and I were having one of those deep talks that married couples tend to have.  During the course of the conversation, I said, "I feel like we (referring to the family as a whole) walk with a limp."

It was quiet for awhile, and then Jim said, "So did Jacob, but the angel also blessed him."

I could not control the tears as his words hit me.

Jacob wrestled with the angel, and during the wrestling, the angel touched the hollow of Jacob's thigh, causing him to forever walk with a limp.

Still Jacob wrestled on, refusing to let go, until the angel blessed him.  The angel pronounced a blessing on Jacob; he is considered the father of the nation of Israel.

Jacob wrestled, it caused him to have a limp, but still he was blessed.

I have pondered that thought, turning it over and over in my mind since the conversation with my husband.

We, as a family, may always walk with this limp.  It may be with us for the rest of our lives.  But that doesn't mean that we won't be blessed of the Lord either.  The Lord has not forgotten us, he has not forsaken us.  We may walk with this limp as a testimony, to show of the time when we wrestled and refused to give up, to remind us.  This limp may be a part of us, but it's not the end.  This is not where the story of our lives, our family ends.

I don't know if I am at all conveying my thoughts and feelings about this.  But it's working on me and I wanted to share.

Genesis 32:22-31

No comments:

Post a Comment