Sunday, October 5, 2014

Shelley

Yesterday Shelley Sims passed away. Shelley was such a wonderful person and she will be missed.  I have some many wonderful memories of Shelley. One of my first is that she and Perry got engaged soon after we started attending VPC, which was Faith Temple back then. I think they might have been the first ones that we got to hear a poem for, actually.

Then I remember the following year, 2006, we went to camp meeting the last time it was in Prescott. At some point we were talking to Shelley and Perry before we went and they were telling us about the place where they were going to stay for  amp meeting, a place called Apple Creek Cottages. We wonder up staying there in one cabin and the Sims were in another cabin. They came over to our cabin one afternoon between services and played Skip-Bo with us.

Shelley was one of those people who was always there. I remember her sitting on the back row of the right side of the church, taking attendance before service. Silly me thought it was funny to lean down and tell her "I'm here!" Now I look for her and miss seeing her.

Shelley always understood exactly what we were talking about when we spoke of  Tyler. She would tell stories about kids she encountered working in daycare, and share things that she learned. My husband said of her this morning, "I always felt like she understood." Shelley was always plain spoken, too, and I liked that about her. We could talk plainly with each other, with no pretenses.

I remember the couple of times that Jim and I would go very early to the church to pray before I took him to work.  Shelley would always be there, coming to pray after dropping Perry off at work.

One year I got call from Shelley. She wanted to give an anonymous gift to a mutual friend and asked me to be the go between.  She was always thinking of others.

Last Easter Shelley came into the nursery room, looking for a place to hang out as there was no space in the church.  She wasn't strong enought to chase toddlers, but she found her place sitting in the chair next to the door and holding whichever baby we happened to have that service.  She wound up coming in for all three services and holding babies. It was such a big help to have her there, knowing she was taking care of the baby, one less thing for me to worry about.  In between services on Sunday, we wound up having a long talk about her cancer and her hopes for the future. I will always treasure that time.

I willw miss Shelley. If memory is correct she is the first peer my age to die of cancer. It's sobering. But I know she's in Heaven with The Lord. I'm just sad for me, and Perry, and Ruthie and al pof us who will miss her dearly.

My husband told me this morning that, on my last birthday, Bro Perry came up to him and said, "do something nice for your wife for her birthday." I cried when I heard that. Let us not take one day for granted. Love one another and let them know that you love them.

Farewell, Shelley. Enjoy being in the presence of The Lord. We are jealous :)

No comments:

Post a Comment