I think I'm ready to share some of the big news...In true fashion, I will give you all the back story, etc
Just in case someone doesn't know: Tyler had autism and goes to a school that is a one hour drive from our home. In order for this to work, I had to leave the home and get a job close to his school. We've been doing this since July of 2013.
Recently I heard about an opportunity for a job that would be coming available in the near future. As soon as I heard about the job, my heart leaped and I knew without a shadow of doubt that I wanted that job. No questions. And the job wanted me.
However, there was a big huge obstacle: the job is in the West Valley, not the East Valley. So, I prayed and prayed and wrangled and tried every single idea that I could think of to figure out a way to get this to work. Nothing. Finally, I wrote the words "Beauty in Submission" on a piece of paper that I keep on my mirror and gave the job up for the time being, believing that God would work it out in his time.
A few days later I was searching the internet once again for autism schools in the West Valley and a new submission jumped out at me. The address was right, the website looked fantastic and when I googled the school, I actually found it on a best schools list.
I asked my husband if he was interested in checking it out and he was, so I reached out to the school. They invited us to attend their Open House that was happening in a couple of weeks. We did and were very pleased with what we saw. The program is newer than Pieceful Solutions, but there is a lot of opportunity. Tyler was comfortable in the environment. I went up to two different parents and talked with them about their experiences and they both had good things to share.
Jim and I decided to go forward with having Tyler start there in January.
This has been one of the hardest decisions that I have ever made. I am so worried that I've made a huge mistake, that the school will be horrible for Tyler and that we'll completely regret the decision.
But every time I go back to the Lord and question again, he sends me a confirmation that this is the right thing for our whole family.
I will now be able to take the job that I want. We will all be on the same side of town, letting me be available for all four kids. If I'm sick, I can actually call in sick instead of taking my sickness to the office because Tyler can't miss school! There are so many good things about this move.
How is Tyler taking it? Well, when I first told Tyler that we were thinking about having him switch schools, he cried for an hour. Then he was willing to look at the website and the pictures, proclaiming the whole time that he wasn't going to that yucky school. For the next few weeks, any time the subject was brought up, he would remind me that he wasn't switching schools. He felt better after we visited the school, although he did ask me if he could finish the school year at PS and start at Aurora the following school year. We decided not to do that BTW because of the job that I'm taking, mainly. Now he just makes comments about some of the classes that he is going to miss out on or his friends, so I'm trying to work with him on maintaining friendships and seeing if we can do some of the class material at home. I think he's come so far at PS that he's going to do fine at Aurora.
So, that's most of the big news. Even now I feel teary eyed because we love PS so much it's hard to leave, and I don't want to make a huge mistake. Once I'm in the middle of rush hour traffic, however, I find myself counting the days :)
Please continue to keep us in prayer. God is so good!